No More Babies for Me: Here’s Why… And Pictures!

by loveandothercrap

This post is about my pregnancies. I tried to keep the very messy details out, for your behalf, but if you do not wish to read about pregnancies and labors, I suggest you run away now.

A lot of my friends only have one child, compared to my two. They always ask me the same thing: “How could you willingly go through labor a second time?” Well, honestly, I didn’t plan either of my pregnancies, so unless teleporting the baby out of my stomach had become an option, I was going to have to go through labor.

However, after my first, I had already planned on having a second… several years later than expected. Now, that I have my second, I do not plan to go for a third. Ever. Birth control pills and condoms will be on the shopping list if I ever meet another man worthy of the woo-hoo.

You see, my first pregnancy was easy breezy. I barely had any morning sickness, in fact I can count the number of times I even threw up during it on one hand – two times. First was because I got carsick from my mother’s driving; second time because I had an oops moment and drank orange juice.

I did have a horrible, horrible case of heartburn with my son though, but I stocked up on so many Tums to keep it at bay.

I also had early contractions when I entered my 7th month of pregnancy, which caused me having to stop working. Yet, I wasn’t going to complain. The pain wasn’t terrible and I managed through it relatively easy.

I was nervous I was going to be late delivering him. My due date was January 5th, but I read first time babies might want to stay in longer. I thought for sure he was going to do just that to me because he was living the life in there. However, I didn’t have to wait until my due date. My water had broke 1 week before, so I had to be induced.

Being induced wasn’t too much fun. I got a fever sometime during it, but I was lucky enough to get an epidural shortly after the contractions really started. I remember having two and thinking they were like real bad period cramps, and next thing I knew, I wasn’t feeling nada! But I was stuck in a bed from that point forward. Which wasn’t so bad, I guess. I tried sleeping, but was awoke every hour on the hour to be turned over by a nurse. I couldn’t do it myself… since I couldn’t feel anything in the southern region of my body.

Boy Child: Born at 7 pounds, 4 ounces, 21 inches long

Boy Child: Born at 7 pounds, 4 ounces, 21 inches long

When it came time to push, I was told I could be pushing for as long as 3 hours! I nope’d that right away, told them to give me a hour tops because I was hungry and tired and I wanted to be done. (At that point, I had been in a hospital bed for over 12 hours now, without one bite to eat. I was starving!) 20 minutes after telling the nurse that, I was holding my son for the first time.

See, I thought pregnancy and labor was easy! I could totally do that again!

And I did… but it wasn’t the same, easy breezy pregnancy as the first.

By the time I hit 3 months, I had the worst case of morning sickness known to any pregnant lady in the world. The only thing I could really keep down was saltine crackers, not good when you are craving donuts and ice cream, steak and cauliflower. (Most I craved with my first pregnancy was an egg roll at least once a month.)

I thought the morning sickness would die down later in my pregnancy, but it didn’t. I had it right up until the day I gave birth. I even had to be hospitalized for it once because at that point, I couldn’t keep anything down. Not even water. Luckily, they were able to give me some sort of medication for it, but it didn’t stop the sickness fully. Just let me keep some food and drink down.

Morning sickness wasn’t the only thing I was hospitalized for either. One day in my 7th month, I actually fainted in the middle of Wal-mart. Very embarrassing, honestly, especially since I fainted on top of some random guy. I guess I have him to thank for not busting my head open, but he was long gone before I came around. So thank you, random strangers. I hope I didn’t break anything!

I was also in the hospital for not feeling the baby move for a full day. Naturally she started bouncing off my rib cage the second they hooked me to some machines. And I was hospitalized because I had some major bleeding going on after one of my checkups. They told me spotting was normal after the first time, but when I awoke from a nap in the afternoon, I had a lot more than spotting going on. I had the damn Niagara Falls going on. Out of all the hospital stays, that one scared me the most. Luckily, it was just indeed spotting, but… a lot more spotting then anyone has ever seen. Bad doctor for making me bleed! The other weekly appointments after that always set me on edge, thinking I was going to have to deal with that every week.

7 months pregnant with Girl Child

7 months pregnant with Girl Child

I also went to the hospital because I was concerned my water broke… nope, I just peed myself a little. God! Red-face me! That was a week before my due date, so my doctor decided to set me up for an induction the day after my due date. There was an end in sight! I was so miserable at the point, I nearly kissed my doctor for giving me an end to the tunnel of my misery.

I never made it to that day though… Girl Child decided to grace us with her presence the day before my due date, two days before my induction.

Now, I never really experienced labor pains with my son, so I had no idea what was really going on with me that day. I had cramps… I had bad cramps. I had those occasionally throughout this pregnancy, so I decided to sleep it off like all the others. I was awoken at 3pm with even worse cramps… coming every 5 minutes. Shit! I’m in labor. Home alone. And I can’t drive with this type of pain! I was suppose to get to the hospital when they were 7 minutes apart.

My mother was closest to me, to pick me up… and that was 45 minutes away. I sat on the phone with her while she drove to me, with her telling me to breath and relax, and with me screaming, “HURRY THE HELL UP. SPEEEEED WOMAN!” She must have because she was there in 30 minutes. I was in the hospital 10 minutes later. With my contractions 3 minutes apart. And 7 CM dilated.

They rushed an epidural for me… but it did jack shit really. Took away part of the pain, but not all of it. I was in the hospital for roughly 4 hours at this point when I told the nurse to get ready to catch the baby. You see, my doctor wasn’t available! He was in a C-section, and they were trying to tell me not to push! To cross my legs! Fat chance of that happening, Girl Child was ready and she was going to claw her way out if needed.

Girl Child: Born at 8 pounds, 4 ounces. 20 inches long

Girl Child: Born at 8 pounds, 4 ounces. 20 inches long

The doctor rushed in, after finding someone else to sew up the other woman (sorry, lady!) and 10 minutes later… I had a daughter!

Yeah… not something I really plan on doing, ever again. I’m done. I had two pregnancies, two very different pregnancies. I have been on both sides of it. I have experienced it all. I’m good, thank you very much!